newyork-london

Posted by jonathan 
newyork-london
August 12, 2004 08:14AM
would you say that newyork is better than london. if yes, why?
Red
Re: newyork-london
August 12, 2004 08:36AM
I've lived in both places, and I'd say: Different.

London is calmer, more 'villagey,' prettier, and has more history, slightly cheaper apartments, and a more coherent sense of its own culture.

New York is faster paced, more intense, louder, cheaper for everything other than apartments, and is much, much friendlier. That last bit was why I left London and came home.

Both have an equal range of ethnic foods and cultural opportunities.

Why does one have to be 'better' than the other? I prefer New York, but then again, I'm a New Yorker. I'm sure Londoners prefer their town.
Krissi
August 12, 2004 09:52AM
I've been to London, and think it is a wonderful city. But I, too, am a NYer, and would of course pick NYC. I agree with Redd about London not being the friendliest of places. Even a jaded New Yorker noticed that from the Londoners.

One thing, I do think NYC's food is better. But that's just my opinion :-)
August 12, 2004 09:53AM
I don't think you can say one is 'better' than the other, you can't really compare them, they so totally different
August 12, 2004 03:06PM
Interesting question Jonathan

I've lived in London for some time now but I love New York because it gives me that feeling of excitement that I used to get when I went to London as a kid. So at the moment, I guess New York is more exciting for me, but I guess it could be a 'grass is greener' thing as I definately still love London too

They are very different places - both are very special and should be celebrated equally.
July 24, 2005 08:50PM
Agree totally that these two fantastic world cities - arguably the two greatest in the world (at least in my opinion) - both share similarities and yet are very different. The fact that they compete with each other shouldn't overshadow their own distinct "essences" and their own self-worth.

London is obviously more European - arguably better managed, curated, "cute", planned. And yet it is much more "New York" than the other great capitals of Europe, i.e. Paris, Rome, Berlin, Milan, in its embrace of free-market capitalism, its newfound creative energy, multiculturalism, and of course the English language. The proximity to all of Europe is also a huge plus. London feels "older" than New York, and that's a plus.

The downside of London (compared to NY): Cost of living, legacy of English stuffiness, dreary climate, sleepier.

New York (where I live), has the edge on energy, creativity, affordability (compared to London, not other cities in the US, obviously) proximity to the US (financially & otherwise), and, I would say, climate/geography. It's no great shortage that NYC is one of the great cities of the world, yet sits on a massive salt water harbor, is within a half-hour train ride of beautiful beaches, and a short distance from the north-east US ski mountains. I also agree with the "openness" comment previously - and I'd add the best sense of humour in the world. That's a big American factor that plays in NY's favor, and honestly what gives it the edge overall for me. For me, it's "the flavor" that gives New York the ultimate edge. New York feels "younger" than London, and that's a plus.

The downside of New York: Just coming to terms with world-class urban planning, some New Yorkers are so NY-centric that they have the ironic "urban hick" syndrome (think NY is the center of the Universe, yet have rarely left that center and thus how can they consider themselves the center of what they don't truly know?), all work/no play super aggressive American mentality.

To give a balanced picture - London is the most American city in Europe, and New York is the most European city in North America. I like to think of them as Brother & Sister, and I love them both.

PS Paris is the most beautiful city in the world! Another story...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2005 09:30PM by (n/a).
July 25, 2005 08:44AM

I have lived in London, or the local counties, for most of my life, and every time I go into the city I am still impressed, overwhelmed, excited. By everything....the architecture, the heritage, ceremony, the bright lights, the beauty of it all. And I can easily understand why tourists are attracted to this wonderful town. BUT...and a big BUT...nobody will talk to you (or is it just me?) from morning til night!

Having also been to New York, (and had a wonderful time I might add), I was equally impressed, by the very different architecture, the buzz, the excitement, the energy. AND...people chatted to me everywhere I went, offered to show me around, helped with directions, getting cabs, finding subways, even sorting out money for me. That's the difference. Impressed...I certainly was!!
July 25, 2005 02:27PM

Interesting discussion....

I would agree with the point..why does one have to be better than the other?
Both have excellent qualities, and both have their pitfalls.
As a tourist one tends to see things through rose tinted glasses, and I'm sure that if a New Yorker spent weeks/months in London (and vice versa) he/she would see the bad side of our great City.

On a slightly more humourous note...of course NewYork is better than London....All we've got is Marks and Spencers....and you've got...MACY*S!!!
July 25, 2005 06:00PM
I love both cities, and I'm not a native of either one. I have lived in New York but only visited London although I was staying with friends who lived in London on one of my visits. I would love to live in London for a while and hopefully will get the chance one day.

New Yorkers are definitely friendlier than Londoners, the only people who spoke to us on our last visit to London turned out to be other Australians.

Marks and Spencers is downright boring compared to Macys.
Marx
July 25, 2005 10:56PM
I have visited London twice - it's a wonderful city, but much more boring, much less to see than in New York. And most British people seem to have bad teeth.
July 26, 2005 02:48AM
Ahh yes....Macey's. There's nothing to compare with that!!

But what about Camden Market?

Different...but there's nothing to compare with that either.

One could go on and on! Why bother? They're both GREAT!!!!!!!!
July 26, 2005 02:52AM
I meant MACY'S....sorry!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 21 plus 1?
Online Users

Guests: 7