moving to NYC..and my head is spinning! need your professional help, pleasesmiling smiley

Posted by katya 
moving to NYC..and my head is spinning! need your professional help, pleasesmiling smiley
June 03, 2005 02:53PM
Dear Newyorkers!
My husband is graduating this summer and he already got a job offer from Wall St., which means moving. The thing is, we are totally "uneducated" when it comes to NYC, the neighbourhoods, the lifestyles, and it makes it extremely hard for us to figure out where to look for an appartmentsad smiley We were generally thinking of a quiet area, a nice cute neighbourhood off the major city noise, but not too far in terms of commutung to Wall St. Our idealistic demands also brough us to a desire to own a car (which I understand is crazy in New York, but, well, we can sacrifice this one when we get realsmiling smiley. With this demands we were immediately referred to NJ, and we have done some research in this area too, but, I thought, maybe we still have a chance to find something like this in some area of NY or Brooklyn. Since you guys are real experts (I judge by the answers to the most desperate posts on this forum, you are really helpfulsmiling smiley, I thought maybe we could also get some help here. Ok, straight to business:
1. We are trying to squeeze ourselves into $1500-1700 (2000 tops) rent.
2.Don't want to live in a noisy place, but want to be close in terms of commuting (well, the sooner the better, but 45 min one way will do, I think) and still have some life going on close.
3.The neightbourhood should be a safe and a decent one.
4. what do you say to Brooklyn vs. Jersey City or Hoboken?
5. Is there any way to find what we are looking for in NYC?
Thank you all in advance,
Looking forward to your advice!
I think what you're looking for sounds EXACTLY like Carroll Gardens or Brooklyn Heights. More Carroll Gardens - parking is a wee bit better there.
I recently heard that Park Slope and Cobble Hill fit with Red's suggestions. Am I right Red?
Re: moving to NYC..and my head is spinning! need your professional help, pleasesmiling smiley
June 03, 2005 06:13PM
thank you so much for your answers, I'll be looking into these areas shortlysmiling smiley but still,I am deciding: Jersey or Brooklyn? I am wide open for suggestionssmiling smiley Thank you, guys, for you help againsmiling smiley
Prospect Heights?
June 03, 2005 09:36PM
What about Prospect Heights? Is it a decent location?
I'd say Prospect Heights is a little farther out, and a little quieter, than you have to be. As the above posts say, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill and Park Slope will all fit you to a T. Brooklyn has several great neighborhoods that you would love.
Not to forget Williamsburg being a favorite of two people on this site!
ditto.
Red is right, Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens are all perfect for you. Just what you are looking for.
Re: moving to NYC..and my head is spinning! need your professional help, pleasesmiling smiley
June 04, 2005 10:30AM
Guys, thank a lot for your help, I really appreciate it. Yesterday I was looking into the listings on the craiglist for Brooklyn Heights, Carol Hill, Coble hill and Park Slope, I haven't gotten to Williamsburg yet, but I deffinitely will. From what I saw on the craiglist, I would say the prices are so diverse! There were $2000+ 1bdr apts along with $1500 2 bdr..I guess prises are dependant on the condition of the building...What I wanted to ask is, how to learn that the heating system in the apt is decent? I've read tons of horrow stories from the people "freezing" in winter, don't wanna be one of themsmiling smiley Also, we were planning on going to NY mid July for a week or so, to see the apts we will put on our wish list. Since we will be looking mostly into Brooklyn, Jersey City and Hoboken, where would you recommend us to stay? Need some decent, but not pricey hotel.
Well, anyways, thanks for your help!
there is a marriott hotel right on the brooklyn side of the brooklyn bridge, so right by brooklyn heights, cobble hill, and carroll gardens. it's nice, my parents have stayed there. it's on Adams st. I believe.
Maybe you should think about subletting for a little while so that you can check out the areas at leisure, a week is not long to look around. I had two weeks two years ago and that wasn't really enough but I was lucky and found what we needed on the last day.
June 04, 2005 10:38PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the Marriott...Yes, I know a week is ridiculously short, but in fact we can't devote more time to this matter at allsad smiley My husband's has his PhD thesis defence late july, and 2 days after he should be at work..Before that time, with all the paperwork and things to take care of, we got only a week-9 days to take care of the apartment...so wish me lucksmiling smiley thank you all for helpsmiling smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 7