Please get in contact

Posted by Lizzie 
Please get in contact
December 28, 2003 06:49AM
Hello New Yorkers,
My name is lizzie, im 15 and im from England.
The reason i am e-mailing you all is because although i have not been to New York..i love it! My dream in life is to move to New York and work as a journalist, I first saw New York on telly in SATC and of course like many people i fell in love with the place. Ever since its been my dream to live there or even if just visit, all though sarah jessica parker only showed me a bit of the New York life, i have ever since been on New York sights and planning what i have to do to move there. Although i need your help and contact too, Please could you get back in contact to tel me if this is possible.
Lots of hugs
lizziex (hopefull)
rach
Re: Please get in contact
December 28, 2003 09:01AM
Hey lizzie i think its fantastic that you want to come and live in New York when your older alot of people do but jst contact me and ive sent u my e-mail addi so dont get your hopes up that many people answer as yor only 15 and they don't understand that 15 year olds can have there thoughts and do actions to!!
Red
December 28, 2003 09:58AM
At your age, what you should be looking into is student exchange programs. I've never quite gotten a proper grasp on the UK educational system, but your high school or university should have a program, or should be able to talk to you about a program where you can study in NYC for a semester or a year. That way you'll be able to get a taste of the city and establish contacts here to figure out whether you really do like it.

Another idea, though you have to be 20 or 21 to do this, is to look into becoming an au pair. Many young foreign women from English speaking countries spend a year in New York as au pairs, taking care of small children for rich families.
lizzie
December 29, 2003 05:23PM
right thankyou for that, and if i do stay for a year as au pair what is the pay like? and how do i know if i can trust the family im staying with? I think the best thing for me is to study maybe for a year like you said but firstly i may take a short trip to taste a bit of what it is like. I need to gain some contatcs from New York as i as yet do not no anyone who lives there.
but thankyou for the advice it has helped me alot.
lizziex
p.s. if anyone could also reply back with ideas of over ways to obtain a taste of new york without moving my whole life and all my money into it i will be truely gratefull.
Red
December 29, 2003 05:59PM
If you go as an au pair through an approved, reliable agency, they handle vetting the families and making sure you're safe. Many au pairs move around to a family or three before settling on one they 'click' with. The pay isn't great, but you have free room and board in NYC, and so you don't need much money.

I'm not sure how to find au pair agencies, but I bet CIEE (the Council for International Educational Exchange) would know. Ask at your local branch of STA Travel.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 5 plus 11?
Online Users

Guests: 12