Harlem at night time - safe?

Posted by S 
S
Harlem at night time - safe?
August 17, 2014 05:04PM
Hi smiling smiley

Is it safe for a young woman to walk "around" alone in Harlem at night time? Especially in the area around 125th street station? Not much, just a few blocks.

There are so many different opinions and experiences, so it's left me a bit confused. I assume it's pretty much the same as in any other neighborhood in NYC... but what do you say?

Thank you in advance for your time and responses.

By the way, if anyone knows about great (and not too expensive) areas in Brooklyn, please share. I'm not American, so I really appreciate the help. Thank you!
Re: Harlem at night time - safe?
August 20, 2014 06:50AM
I'm sure you'll be fine if you just walk around for a bit near the subway station in Harlem.
Your question about brooklyn, "not too expensive" areas - areas to live? to eat? What exactly are you looking for?
October 09, 2014 02:23PM
I'm a woman and have safely walked at night on 125th Street. I've found the West side to be much safer than the East side (sketchy after midnight) because it's close to Columbia University.
S
October 23, 2014 07:07AM
Thank you for responding! :-) I'm talking about places to live. Anybody know about Marcy Ave in Brooklyn (near the G train)?
October 30, 2014 01:28AM
Harlem, like the rest of the city is very safe; you have nothing to worry about. Do not listen to the old stigma that is attached to Harlem. Yes, you have your pockets of "culture shock" but you will find that throughout the city. But since you are coming in late at night, you might be more comfortable getting off at a different stop.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 20?
Online Users

Guests: 26