Past New Yorker of the Moment Tamara Morgan

Posted by askanewyorker 
Past New Yorker of the Moment Tamara Morgan
August 12, 2014 07:57AM
Correction Tamara was, is Uberchic!

[www.askanewyorker.com]

Dear Family, Friends, Art Therapy friends, and Colleagues.

I hope you all are doing wonderful! I am writing to you all with a sincere ask to support Adaptive Design's Chair-a-thon.

Adaptive Design Association is a non profit organization, that builds adaptive devices for people with disabilities of all ages primarily out of Tri-Wall cardboard (but also uses several other materials). Adaptive Design was recently recognized by the NY Times for the amazing work they do-- [www.nytimes.com].

HISTORY: Some of you may know my story and what my life has been like with Osteogenesis Imperfecta (brittle bone disease) and others may not. But this is why Adaptive Design is so important to me. Before having my lamp for my wheelchair, I often felt vulnerable and frightened traveling alone. I was unnoticeable and it was very hard for people to see me, crossing the street, rolling through the halls of my school, or simply in the aisles of the grocery store. So much so that people would trip over me and fall on top of me, resulting in several bruised and broken bones (many unwanted trips to the hospital). Drivers were always inches away from hitting me crossing the street. There a came a time, where I could not stand for feeling so invisible anymore, and I knew I had to do something. My confidence, my happiness, and my safety changed the moment I received my first lamp. We have since made several updates to the lamp and I feel it is at a state that it could be very beneficial to many other people.

WHAT I HOPE TO DO: By creating the lamp kits, each kit would include a lamp (with streaming lights), a battery, a switch, and adhesive clamps (so that the lamp can be attached to any wheelchair). I am working with Adaptive Design to build 3-4 kits initially, but ultimately we'd like to create thousands.

GOAL: Raise $300 to build 3-4 lamp kits. No Donation is too SMALL or BIG (increments of $1, $5, $10, etc, it's all significant.).

WHY: I want all New Yorkers to feel safe and visible traveling about NYC. I am hoping to be bring the same sense of empowerment and safety that I feel with my lamp to everyone despite any differences.

HOW YOU CAN HELP: By sponsoring me through a donation to paint and mini cardboard chair that will be displayed in a local gallery or museum in collaboration with ADA's CHAIR-A-THON event. A portion of the proceeds will go to THE LAMP KIT PROJECT. Please visit [www.crowdrise.com] to learn more and make a tax deductible donation.

WHEN: By October 23, 2014

Thank you all so much in advance as this initiative is really important to me and please email me if you have any questions as I would be happy to answer them.

Have a great day and THANK YOU!!!

P.S. If you are interested in painting your own Mini Cardboard Chair, and helping to raise money for Adaptive Design to build adaptive equipment for people with disabilities, please email me at moig7@aol.com.

--

Tamara

--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2014 08:02AM by askanewyorker.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 12?
Online Users

Guests: 17