Visiting NYC alone

Posted by Student777 
Visiting NYC alone
August 03, 2014 04:31AM
I'm a 20 year old visiting exchange student to Cleveland from Asia. I've booked my return flights departing from JFK but my family is not able to visit me in the US as planned. Would you recommend me to travel by myself in NYC from 1 Jan 2014 to 7Jan 2014? (:

Would truly appreciate your advice along with any hostel/hotel recommendations!

-R

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2014 04:32AM by Student777.
Re: Visiting NYC alone
August 03, 2014 06:05AM
R
Absolutely it will be great to visit The Big Apple after Clevland. The Christmas decorations will still be up. You'll love it so very different then Cllevland. Be happy to give you all kinds of things to do for the week if you decide to visit. thumbs up
August 03, 2014 06:13AM
R
There are plenty of youth hostels but this YMCA is also reasonable and is in a convenient location

[www.ymcanyc.org]
August 04, 2014 02:12PM
Wow! Thank you so much for the speedy reply! I shall be adventurous and dive into my first solo trip! And yes I would love to have your suggestion on the itinerary. Thank you so much! (:

- R

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2014 02:12PM by Student777.
August 07, 2014 09:58AM
What are some of your interest? weather will be a big factor in walking etc...
Regardless just being in NYC is a thrill.
The subways are super easy to use
Are you into museums? Food....Pizzasmiling smiley
perhaps take in a Broadway show?Rockefeller Center and Central Park...Just walking down 5th Ave from The Plaza Hotel is fun with all the Christmas window displays and people watching....
Have you heard of Dylan's Candy or FAO Schwartz toy store? So much to see and do!
August 11, 2014 03:13AM
I'm definitely interested in exploring NYC by foot, with some cafe hopping and shopping (: Broadway shows sound interesting too!
And no I've not heard of those shops! But I'd love to visit them definitely.

Btw, I'm currently deciding between a few hostel options:
1. The International Student Center - located in a brownstone building on the Upper West Side of Manhattan in New York City. (38 West 88th Street, mid-block between Columbus Avenue and Central Park West, near the 86th Street station on the B and C subway trains.)
2. Harlem YMCA - 180 West 135th Street, NY 10030
3. The Local NYC - 1302 44th Avenue, Queens
4. HI - New York City - 891 Amsterdam Avenue, NY 10025-4403

Would you recommend any of them if I really want to just travel minimally and max out my sightseeing? (: I will only have about a week in New York.

Once again, really appreciate your replies!

- R
August 13, 2014 06:19AM
Hi R
Good research I like option 1 Great location and the B and C subway line is convenient Have you read about The High Line? Opened 4 years ago it's an elevated railroad that had been abandoned and turned into a stunning park. A C subway to Penn Station. Walk over to 30th and 10th which is the end of The High Line and walk down to 12th street. You will walk through Chelsea which is our gallery district over 200 modern art spaces next neighborhood is called The Meatpacking District which has morphed into a chic area with an industrial vibe
Be sure to check out The Chelsea Market
More to comesmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2014 06:20AM by askanewyorker.
August 26, 2014 11:49PM
Thank you so much for your informative reply! (I'm sorry I arrived at Cleveland recently and hence the delay in reply)

And yes The High Line and Chelsea Market! I will definitely give them a visit (: How about accommodation options 2, 3, and 4? Are they good for considerations too?

I'm really excited about my stay in NYC grinning smiley

- R
August 28, 2014 06:02AM
R
There all good choices I chose 1 because its more centrally located. Long flight from Asia to Cleveland New Yorksmiling smiley
Another market is called Eataly a play on words it's a huge Italian market right in front of one of my favorite buildings called The Flatiron at 23 and Broadway
Across the street is Madison Square Park
You my see a long long inside the park. These are hungry hamburger lovers waiting in line at Shackshacksmiling smiley
September 09, 2014 11:00AM
I see! I will be sure to visit these places! Thank you grinning smiley

R
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 13 plus 23?
Online Users

Guests: 14