Moving to the City young

Posted by Shay169 
Moving to the City young
June 27, 2014 05:38PM
Okay so currently I'm a sophomore college student in southern Georgia. It's been in my mind a lot lately to just drop everything and move to New York, either temporarily or permanently, because I kind of want to experience the struggle of making it on my own in a big city. Just how wise would this be? And how easy is it to get a job and an apartment with roommates? Also, would it be easy to make friends? Because I would be up there completely alone.
Re: Moving to the City young
June 27, 2014 07:31PM
If your goal is to live here, make sure you have a plan. Dropping out of college isn't a great first step, I'm afraid. The best you could hope for without a degree is a minimum wage job. If you figure three people sharing an apartment, each share would be at least $1,000 a month. Transportation is $112 a month. Add the cost of utilities, food, clothing and other basic expenses.

Don't give up on your dream. Just set it as your goal, build a plan and follow it through. You've got plenty of time, don't rush into dropping out of school.
Re: Moving to the City young
June 28, 2014 08:18AM
please don't drop out of school - that will do you no good at all.
But when you've finished, if you still want to come, do it!
Save your money - you'll need at least a few thousand bucks just to get established with an apartment and such. Then, you'll need to find a job. You should be able to find something, if you're reasonably skilled and intelligent, but it is possible it won't pay much to begin with...not sure what you're specialty is but when I moved here at age 23 I was only making $35K, and that was good money. It goes fast! It's an expensive city! I came here completely alone, too - I'm not going to lie, it's a little tough to meet friends (but that might be just me, I'm not the most outgoing person).
finish school, make a plan, don't rush, but if you want to come here you should do it.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 16?
Online Users

Guests: 4