Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A Word About Harlem...

Posted by Danielle 
Danielle
A Word About Harlem...
December 19, 2007 01:09PM
I really don't understand the preoccupation with Harlem being dangerous. I'm a NY resident who does not live in Harlem and even for me, it's bordering on lightweight offensive, to be honest.

Describing a neighborhood that is rich with culture, welcoming residents and some of the best historical, architectual finds in the city as 'ghetto' is rather unsavory for many reasons that you can assume. Your lives are in very protected hands, as this city is one of the safest big towns you will find. Just because the residents may not look or sound like you, does not imply that you are somehow threatened or unwelcomed.

Regardless of your whereabouts in the city - Harlem, South Bronx OR 5th Avenue - you need to watch your back, be alert and stand up straight. But I would advise any guest of NY to please take the time to visit an area first before deeming whether it is 'dirty', 'ghetto', or 'dangerous'. The Harlem feared in many posts is the Harlem of 10-15 years ago and one that is often portrayed - incorrectly - in movies for dramatic effect. I'll say the same for Brooklyn as well.

Sorry for the rant, but we've a little protective of our town up here. Welcome to one and all - enjoy yourselves, take it all in and please keep an open mind.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 6