Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Safety Comparison: Harlem neighborhoods

Posted by Elizabeth 
Safety Comparison: Harlem neighborhoods
March 13, 2007 09:36AM
Hello, and thanks in advance to anyone who responds!

My boyfriend and I are soon to move to a new neighborhood, and are looking at Harlem, among a few other neighborhoods. We are trying to figure out how safe different parts of each neighborhood we are looking at are. I have been to a number of different parts of Harlem over the years, and for the most part felt fairly safe. In the interest of full disclosure, he is latino and I am white, he is a born&raised New Yorker, and I am a 10 year transplant. We know how to conduct ourselves and not be idiots (not walking down a dark, deserted street at 2 am in any neighborhood, etc). And, just to clarify, I have spent time by myself in a number of neighborhoods where I was the only white person I saw, and I felt perfectly comfortable and in no way unsafe, and many neighborhoods that are mostly white where I was terrified, so please understand I am NOT asking a veiled question focused on the racial makeup.

I really want to know 1)where are areas that get deserted 2)what streets are good/bad to walk on for a woman alone late at night 3) are there any areas where people will react because I'm a white girl? For instance, I don't feel terribly comfortable in the financial district, or way west midtown, late at night because there's almost no one there. Also, certain neighborhoods in the Bronx (where my boyfriend is from) I got negative comments out of nowhere about my being white, and in other neighborhoods no one seemed to care - I imagine Harlem might be the same. Are 125th, Lenox, 5th Ave good bets for walking alone because they are more major streets? (I've felt fine on most of 125th, but I haven't walked the entire length of it, and I don't think I've been there after midnight or so.)

We looked at an apt around 135th & Lenox - during the day it seemed pretty busy and lots of people. Does that area remain as active into the evening, or does it thin out there? Thoughts on how populated it is late at night on 125th between Lexington and Lenox, and Lenox between 125th and 135th (if one were walking from the 6 train to 135th&Lenox). What would it be like if we realized we needed milk at 2 am? Active and fine, or deserted?

Thanks again to everyone!
Re: Safety Comparison: Harlem neighborhoods
October 02, 2008 11:38AM
Hi!

Please forgive my ignorance but I am looking to book a family holiday in New York and have found a lovely rental on 119th Street between Lennox Avenue and 7th Avenue...We have two young children and would like to know if the area is suitable i.e safe,not too noisy etc.
If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.
Many thanks in anticipation.

Michelle
October 29, 2008 08:18AM
My girlfriend and I moved to Harlem 2 years ago...both white mid twenties.

I live on 125th street, and would not want to lvie anywhere else. I do not scare easily, but there have been a few creepy and unsafe situations recently. One involving a person trying to break into my apt building as i left, and another where my gf was being followed and video taped. Both very upsetting. THANK GOD, I don't live on a less busy street. NYPD are all over 125th in uniform and undercover, which I like. The street is very busy at times, but I'd rather be around more people than not.

Walking home in the dark alone is not the best idea, but like I said, I feel more comfortable on 125th.

I've experienced racism directed towards me as a white person. You will hear people say things like "get out of Harlen whitey" and "you dont belong here." I really dont care...they sound ignorant. Overall, most people here are nice and keep to themselves.

Unless you like soul food, there aren't many dining options...west side has more. Also, good luck getting anythign delivered from the UWS/UES. They try to charge me extra for delivery or wont at all!

You have your crackheads and deadbeats: The streets are unusually dirty and littered. I often see parents hitting children and people screaming at each other. Lines anywhere take FOREVER (starbucks is the worst). But its a city- Can't escape it...While there are many negatives, I couldn't afford to live in a nice place anywhere else.

One tip: the west side is MUCH nicer, wish I had moved there. Also try washington hts. there are some beautiful places around there.

Good luck!
RLB
July 09, 2009 09:14PM
hi, did u finally moved to harlem? how was it? i'm curious to know as well. thanks!
Re: Safety Comparison: Harlem neighborhoods Bradhurst and the park
January 01, 2010 12:16AM
How safe is the area by the park to walk home alone as a female after dark?

Yes lots of new construction but police are very negative about it and say not to go out alone after dark at all ( or 2 females)
Anyone in the Sutton or langston have thoughts to share?
January 01, 2010 12:28AM
Ask the police precinct, they will give you an honest answer.
July 06, 2010 01:04PM
A friend and I are coming to visit my daughter in NYC, who lives about 10 minutes away from Mt. Sinai Hospital. I mentioned to her that I wanted to go to the Cotton Club on my birthday, and she said that she would be glad to accompany me in a cab and drop us off. How safe is that part of Harlem.
July 12, 2010 10:31AM
That part of Harlem is just fine--over by the Cotton Club. Harlem sounds scary, but if you look at the NYPD crime statistics, they're actually just about the same as most of the rest of Manhattan--and better than Hell's Kitchen. Just like anyplace else in NYC, you keep your eyes open and your wits about you, but there's no reason to be worried at all.
September 26, 2010 10:31AM
Hi,
My daughters ages 20 and 22 are thinking of renting an apartment at about 320E 120th street. They are both tall, blond and beautiful... is this a big problem or will they be OK, they both need to be able to return home at all hours from work. It is really hard to find an affordable apartment in a so called safer area. Any feed back would be VERY appreciated!
THANKS
Vanessa
OJ
November 10, 2010 10:47AM
Vanessa, your daughters are done for.
December 11, 2010 10:51PM
Hi! My friend and I are wanting to move to NYC in the fall of 2011. We are both white females, late 20s. Like a few of the other posts mention...Harlem seems to be just about all we can afford. We are from a small, southern town where everybody knows everybody and we are clueless about NY neighborhoods. We will be out late at night, taking subways and possibly alone at times. I've always wanted to live in NYC and after a recent visit its a MUST. Please...any advice on neighborhoods is much appreciated! Thanks!
John
December 13, 2010 11:18AM
For those of you looking to move to NYC on the cheap, I would STRONGLY suggest looking at some of the outer Boroughs. In order to get a place on the cheap, you'll need to sacrifice something - whether it be night life, housing quality, transit time, etc. I make it a point to make sure that safety is not the thing I sacrifice.

There are many neighborhoods in Brooklyn I would live in before I'd live in Harlem - the best bang for your buck would probably be Greenpoint (adjacent Williamsburg is a pretty happening neighborhood) if you don't mind a little extra time to get into the city. Or, I hear there are some cheap areas in Queens that just lack some nightlife. NYMag has some pretty good general overviews of the different neighborhoods.

All that being said, I've stayed in Harlem before without issue, but I'm a single white male in my early twenties and even I made it a point to not stay out late, not walk alone, etc.
Re: never forget where you came from!!!
December 02, 2011 07:54PM
When you want to through craze tips,mens True Religion jeans are generally surely one of the most affordable by using providential sufficient.There's successfully anyone help open suitable at cheap True Religion outlet.We might probably make ones live easier to check Supra TK Socitey offerring the sorts of denim calf protection always be understand tht human body condition.Supra shoes cheap sale can be remarkably your preferred neatness with regards to slacks. Augustine on-going to sole True Religion Outlet Jeans remain to get with cheap retro Jordans revealing attorney have several neat grays and some thing upstairs of their office.In decide on, Original Air Jordan Shoes Sale informed the heels to view the ultimate so you get anything you desire.New Jordan shoes wound up being already via enough taking into consideration the football team. Come about, Cheap Jordans are wanting to profit in the satisfaction.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 5