Soul Food, only in Harlem?

Posted by Thierry 
Thierry
Soul Food, only in Harlem?
January 12, 2003 03:37PM
Hi ,

So whats soul food about???
Is that food with music or something??
I dont know if my visit also includes Harlem because im only there for 6 days. Most of the time im in Manhattan
So if you know something there or stuff. How long is it travelling from Harlem to Manhattan.

See Ya
Thierry
Julie
Re: Soul Food, only in Harlem?
January 12, 2003 03:39PM
hi there,
what's soul food??
it would typically be considered southern (US) food, favored by African-Americans (and many others too, myself included). That's the only way I know to describe it, and mean nothing bad by it. Fried Chicken, bbq ribs, cornbread,
help me out, anyone.

Some places for it (you don't need to go to Harlem if you don't want to) are:
Chat n Chew
10 E. 16th St

Justin's bar and restaurant
31 W 21st St

Trailer Park
271 W 23rd St

Brothers Bar B Que
225 Varick St
February 28, 2003 08:51AM
Soul Food is derived from Southerned influenced cuisine. Soul music only adds to the mystique. Manhattan and Harlem are one and the same. Harlem is not encircled by a mote with alegator and Torches aflame.

The streets go from 2 to 204. Harlem is between 110 and 160. See?
Easy.

Have fun
Harlem
March 19, 2003 12:07PM
Harlem isnt separate from Manhattan. Harlem is a part of Manhattan just like Soho and the Village are. It is the northern tip of Manhattan along with Washington Heights.
Re: Harlem
May 29, 2003 08:04AM
I always wanted to know the difference between Harlem and Manhattan,
because I visited there about 3 years ago and I just fell in love. When I graduate from college I plan on moving there. I went to the Southern Fried Chicken Restaurant down the way from the Appolo and the food was just delicious there. I also enjoyed walking around the Harlem U.S.A. Mall and I do feel that the Disney Store is out of place there, but that's just my opinion. Holla back!!!
March 17, 2004 04:28PM
Harlem is in Manhatan first of all...only a 10 minute train ride from Columbus Circle. If you do make it to Harlem you should visit Revival Restaurant..it is on the corner of 127th Street and Frederick Douglass Blvd.
October 07, 2005 12:06PM
harlem and manhattan are not seperate, harlem is just uptown away fron the more touristy midtown or the bussle of downtown. me ive never really been to harlem only passing by way to yankee stadium, until my girlfriend and i stopped at sylva's soul food (best soul food in manhattan and a new york landmark). harlem is a good place to visit or live.
LAU FROM SPAIN
June 24, 2008 05:02AM
I´M GOING TO NEW YORK AND I WOULD LIKE TO TRY SOME GOOD SOUL FOOD
IT'S SYLVIA'S TOO TURISTIC??
IT'S BETTER AMY RUTH'S???
ANY SUGGESTION?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Hi. Coming to Harlem this Friday night. I have been to Sylvia's but a restaurant owned by four or five brothers was featured in the Food Network. I'd like to go there. It was further north from Sylvia's and was known for its great Chicken and Waffles, greens, yams etc. Any idea what it's name and location might be??

Hi Garyeh,
I'm the moderator for Ask a New Yorker,my name is Kennedy,,,and I'm going to place this question on the view Phorun page for better viewing. It's a more visable page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2008 07:21PM by askanewyorker.
October 21, 2008 05:50AM
well, fried chicken counts, right?
here's another one of those chowhound emails I got...I have a lot of new places to try, taking their suggestions:

Redhead's Fried Chicken

East Village hounds have taken to the Southern-leaning American chow at The Redhead, especially its buttermilk fried chicken, which egit declares “light, moist and incredibly tasty.” It’s served with a refreshing slaw and cornbread that some may find too sweet. Low Country shrimp and grits is the real deal, rich and delicious, JBRTx reports: “I haven’t had shrimp and grits this good since I was in New Orleans.”

Hounds also recommend, among other things, house-made waffle chips with French onion dip, and a flatbread appetizer with toppings that might include eggplant or roasted peppers with mascarpone and house-cured pork belly that’s “amazing,” sighs sararose. CornflakeGirl loves the One-Eyed Caesar salad, topped with a One-Eyed Susan (fried egg inside a round of bread).

And egit, though wary of the gimmicky bacon-flavored dishes (ice cream, popcorn, cotton candy, etc.) turning up on menus all over town, endorses the bacon peanut brittle. This sweet/savory snack is actually roasted peanuts seasoned with sugar and bacon: “they’re rich. And good. And bacony.”

The Redhead is a bar (formerly known as Detour) that spawned a full restaurant just this year, and the vibe remains warm and casual. sararose sums it up as “a go-to affordable comfort food place” with “nicer cocktails and also $3 PBRs. It’s comfortable and not pretentious. I’m a fan.”

The Redhead [East Village]
349 E. 13th Street (near First Avenue), Manhattan
212-533-6212
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 18